Montag, 24. November 2008

Fly like an eagle






Hola friends,
we were trying to follow the dark bird of prey right in front of us. He was flying without any effort, spreading its large wings majestically. "This bird knows better than me where to find the best thermal", said Roger, the flight instructor, who was sitting right behind me, adding a brief command shortly afterwards. I obeyed immediately and moved the weight of my body to the left side of my seat. This operation is called steering without decelerating and allows to fly bends without loosing much height. We made a turn to the left side, a turbulence was shaking the wing, and my stomach told me that we were going up like the elevator in the empire state building. The thermal was working efficiently, fields and houses beneath us were shrinking. After a full turn we tried to catch the next thermal, this time unfortunately without success. "Where´s the bird gone? I´m afraid he´s cheating us!", Roger asked me. The two of us catched sight of some birds high above us, but our personal guide had left the scenery, leaving us alone.
Roger is a very experienced pilot, and he could find the elevator for two more times. Our wing can be used for two persons with a total weight of 180 kg. We both came to 150 kg, which is not so bad. But even a solo flying pilot can not stay in the air for hours without any thermal support. It was now only a matter of time when we would touch solid ground again. I had a camera with me which was placed in the chest pocket of my wind jacket. Without Roger who reminded me to use it, I would have forgotten it, beeing too distracted of all the gorgeous impressions.
"I think you will love this!", said Roger and he was right, the last sharp bends were like riding a roller coaster.

This was all about me, and I know you are interested, how Sabine is doing. Here are some more information. Yesterday we spent a day in San Marco, a 15 minute boat ride away from San Pedro. San Marco is equipped with a wonderful beach and nice hotels. People usually come here for meditation and massage. We had a nice time, and at the end we visited a lovely hotel. This place might be the destination for our next weekend. Unfortunately during our time at the beach Sabine did not change her swimsuit and is now suffering from a disease we try to cure with our last package of antibiotica. Please, do not worry too much, today Sabine was still fit enough to enter the rooftop terrace of our little house, so she could observe from there the most part of my paragliding adventure.
By the way, news arrived in Guatemala that there are some of our friends suffering from a disease too. To all of you, especially to Alex and Sabine M., our wishes go for recovering soon!
All the best from Sabine and Jorge from sunny San Pedro, Guatemala.

3 Kommentare:

Sperling hat gesagt…

watching you guys with envy glide and fly through timeless skies...but other than that, in Eddersheim all are doing fine! Have a great time out there, we love you, so take care!
Frank
PS: just one minor correction - information always ends without an "s" - no matter if singular or plural form used!

Jörg und Sabine on tour hat gesagt…

Thanks Frank, for all the information, I will do my very best ...

Janis hat gesagt…

na du kleiner Adler, bist du wieder gut auf der Erde angekommen? Von euch Persönlich habe ich lange nichts mehr gehört und sms sind auch keine angekommen.Meldet euch doch mal schöne grüße von Omi und Janis