Dienstag, 30. September 2008

Sleepless in Sudbury






Hi guys,
just when I wanted to upload some more pictures on our last post I had some trouble with the SD card (the little chip in the camera). I was not able to get access to it although I tried very hard. However at last a small window opened showing some confusing informations. More guessing than knowing I tapped a button and the card opened immediately. First I was lucky but after a short second deeply shocked. All pictures seemed to be deleted. A wave of heat went through my body and my heart began to beat fast. Remember, on Vancouver Island we had to drive all night to get the camera back in our hands and now all our efforts seemed to become useless. Desperately I tried again and again to fix the card but without success: All pictures of the last weeks were deleted!
It was already midnight and you can easily imagine that I could hardly find any sleep. One picture was haunting me all night long. It showed a small window with confusing informations and my right index finger tapping the word "yes".
The next morning we went to Photo World in Sudbury frantically hoping a modern software would be able to restore some of the pictures.
Josh, the nice guy who was working there, promised to try his best. To my relief he told me that the described incident was a rare but common issue with SD cards and so at least not my fault. While walking around in the city we crossed our fingers and asked the universe for help. As we returned 30 minutes later you would have heard the sound of a big rock hitting the ground. It was the rock that had fallen down from my heart. Only a few pictures were incomplete, all others could be saved on a dvd. Thank you again Josh for your very good job!
Some days later we visited the Parliament of Ottawa and heard the story of Queen Victoria. In 1857 she was asked to settle a dispute between Quebec City, Montreal, Toronto, Kingston and Ottawa as to which city should be named Capital of the Province of Canada. I think you all know the result of this dispute and that her Majesty tried to upgrade the prestige of Ottawa by giving the order to construct some modern, very impressive and very British looking buildings there. I have to admit these historical facts were actually less attractive to me than the story about the painting itself, which was, like our pictures on the camera, almost destroyed for two times. You should know that it is a very big picture. The frame measures circa 2 x 1,5 meters (7 x 5 feet) and is very solid. Ten strong men would be hardly able to carry it, not to mention the impracticality to move it through doors and around corners. Imagine the Parliament is burning badly and flames are already coming very close to the picture. What would you do now?
You were right, the rescue team had no other choice but to cut the painting out of its frame. It is hard to believe but the same procedure had to be done a few months later again. As a result of these two incidents the former complete crown on the right side of the painting is now incomplete.
I don't know if Sabine woke up some ghosts in the parliament by playing the drums in front of the building but little animals were following our steps on the subsequent tour through the city. We left these animals behind, completely.

Keine Kommentare: